Welcome to Vocabulary Year 3 of American English Lessons with Maestro Sersea. In this lesson we will study American English vocabulary compliments of the VOA Wordbook, a dictionary of over 1,500 highly-used words. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your vocabulary, which will help your comprehension and communication skills. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
Part 1 Directions: Listen to the audio and read along the vocabulary words and definitions 2-3 times. If needed, use the translation feature to translate the vocabulary words and definitions in your primary language.
- light – a form of energy that affects the eyes so that one is able to see; anything that produces light; bright; clear; not heavy
- lightning – light produced by electricity in the air, usually during a storm
- like –to be pleased with; to have good feelings for someone or something; in the same way as; similar to
- limit – to restrict to a number or amount; the greatest amount or number permitted
- line – a long, thin mark on a surface; a number of people or things organized; one after another; the edge of an area protected by military forces
- link – to connect; to unite one thing or event with another; a relation between two or more things, situations or events
- liquid – a substance that is not a solid or gas, and can move freely, like water
- list – to put in writing a number of names of people or things; a written series of names or things
- listen – to try to hear
- literature – all the poems, stories and writings of a period of time or of a country
- little – not tall or big; a small amount
- live – to have life; to exist; having life; alive
- load – to put objects on or into a vehicle or container; that which is carried
- loan – money borrowed that usually must be returned with interest payments; something borrowed
- local – about or having to do with one place
- lonely – feeling alone and wanting friends; visited by few or no people (“a lonely man”)
- long – not short; measuring from beginning to end; measuring much; for much time
- look – to turn the eyes toward so as to see; to search or hunt for; to seem to be
- lose – to have no longer; to not find; to fail to keep; to be defeated
- loud – having a strong sound; full of sound or noise
- love – to like very much; to feel a strong, kind emotion (sometimes involving sex); a strong, kind emotion for someone or something; opposite hate
- low – not high or tall; below the normal height; close to the ground
- loyal – showing strong friendship and support for someone or something
- luck – something that happens by chance
- machine – a device with moving parts used to do work
- magazine – a publication of news, stories, pictures or other information
Part 2 Directions: Take out your notebook or a sheet of paper and a pen. Watch the video below to take the vocabulary test for this lesson and check your level of understanding of this vocabulary lesson.
Part 3 Directions: Now that you’ve completed this vocabulary lesson, use the comments section below to share your thoughts about what you’ve learned.